Recipe by Ozzy
Favourite Chocolate Butter Icing (Buttercream) Here’s a rich, sumptuous version of chocolate butter icing. You can make a simple cocoa-flavoured icing by following the basic butter icing recipe (one part butter to two parts icing sugar) and adding 1tbsp of cocoa mixed with 0.5tbsp milk. But this recipe, with real melted chocolate, lends a little extra luxury to your cake.
Top Review by JennyMidget
Easy to make, and quite tasty - but if you're only using the amount of chocolate indicated in the recipe I think it would HAVE to be dark chocolate. We used milk chocolate, but it wasn't anywhere near chocolatey enough for our tastes - ended up having to use double the chocolate!
- 4 ounces icing sugar
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 ounce chocolate, broken and melted and then cooled slightly
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Just beat the butter until soft and add the icing sugar, beating vigorously. (You can do this in a food processor if you have a half-size bowl.)
- Then add the melted chocolate and the milk, and beat to combine.
- Spread over and inside your cakes.
- Give it a twist: Try this icing with white chocolate, dark chocolate, or a cream liqueur like Baileys instead of the chocolate and milk.