Recipe by quirkycook
This is my father's favorite lemon cake recipe. What I like about it is that it's easy and tastes even better if you make it the day ahead. I've used lemon and strawberry jello as well with wonderful results. It's wonderful with vanilla ice cream and it freezes really well. Cut it into individual servings and wrap tightly in tin foil and it will last in the freezer for weeks. Of course, it probably won't be around that long.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- 1 (1/3 ounce) box orange Jell-O
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cake mix and jello into a bowl.
- Add water and oil and mix until combined.
- Add eggs and beat in one at a time.
- Pour into a greased 9x11 cake pan (I find a metal non stick pan works best).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- When done, punch holes all over the cake using a large fork. Don't worry if the cake starts to get torn up a little. It's not about looks, it's about taste.
- Mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze. I like a lot of glaze so I use about 1 cup of powdered sugar and enough juice to make it runny.
- Pour glaze all over cake and let rest for at least an hour.