1/1 Photo of Family Reunion Baked Macaroni and Cheese
When I was growing up, mom always dragged us to the family reunions. I always looked forward to the baked macaroni and cheese the ladies would bring. I always tried them all! This is the first time I have attempted to make home-made baked macaroni and cheese. I combined a few recipes and came up with this one. It is creamy with a crispy topping.
My Private Note
9 X 13 ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb macaroni (your favorite, I used shells)
- 6 cups cheese (shredded, your choice, I used a combination of cheddar and colby)
- 5 cups milk (I used whole)
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used panko)
- 1Cook pasta, only al-dente. You will be cooking it in the oven, so you don't want to overcook it. Rinse with cool water and drain well. Return to pan with a little butter to prevent sticking and set aside.
- 2Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Melt 6 Tbs. butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Add flour, salt, black pepper, dry mustard, and paprika. Stir constantly for 3 minutes. Add milk, whisking constantly for 10 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- 4Remove 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly stir into your beaten egg to temper the egg. Add the egg mixture to the sauce.
- 5Add 4 cups of the shredded cheese to the sauce, return pan to heat, stirring until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over pasta.
- 6Pour 1/2 of the pasta into a 9 X 13 casserole dish, then sprinkle with 1/2 of the remaining shredded cheese. Repeat with the remaining pasta and cheese.
- 7Melt 2 Tbs. butter and combine with your bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of pasta.
- 8Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until top is bubbly and starting to brown.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family Reunion Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 790.6
- Calories from Fat 365
- Total Fat 40.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 129.3 mg
- Sodium 1397.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 33.0 g