This is NOT especially a substitute hamburger, more like a potato patty with a middle eastern flair. But it is filling and works well in pita with tahini, tomatoes, lettuce, etc (or dh likes his with ketchup...oh well). If you want a richer flavor, you could add an egg and some zippy spices; we use this for fasting days when we are looking for low key vegan foods so it is deliberately pretty mild. (The kids also prefer it this way anyway...and eat theirs with ketchup as well - it's dh's fault!) I do sometimes add rosemary, basil, a splash of olive oil, etc...this is more of a 'base' recipe to which you can add on. Also good with sauteed mushrooms and onions, baked potato-type toppings, or spaghetti sauce on it...be creative! :o) I leave out the powdered milk when we want to go fully vegan and truthfully have never noticed a difference one way or the other so don't worry if you don't include it. You can also shaped them into balls instead of patties and serve with tahini sauce (sesame seed dressing) for appetizers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 2 potatoes, cooked
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- other spices, to personal taste (optional)
- 1Saute onion and garlic in oil.
- 2Mash or puree garbanzos and potatoes together.
- 3Add sauteed onion, tahini, lemon juice, milk powder, soy sauce, and other spices as desired.
- 4Shape into patties and place on greased cookie sheet.
- 5Bake at 350 for 10 min on each side (they will be very soft when turning the first time) Alternately, you can pan fry them in a little oil (I use olive oil) if you prefer them golden and crispier on the outside.
- 6Serve in pita with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Falafel Potato Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (1046 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 230.4
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 364.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 6.9 g