Middle Eastern Chicken Burgers
photo by Chef floWer
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (Vidalia is good)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- 3 tablespoons molasses, for brushing (or use pomegranate molasses, or try a spicy honey mustard)
To go with burgers
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the onion, cinnamon, coriander, and pepper flakes to the skillet, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until the onions are tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and parsley and cook about 1 minute more.
- Move to a big bowl and let cool a little.
- Stir in the chicken and yogurt and mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into 4 1/2" round patties.
- Cook in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until nicely browned and cooked, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Brush burgers with the molasses and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns with mayonnaise(if using), tomato, cucumber, onion, lettuce and cilantro(if using). Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent! Big surprise, much more flavorfull than expected. Had to sub ground turkey for chicken because that all local store carries. Tasted great, but strongly recommend you include the "fixins" that are listed (tomato, cuccumber, onion) because IMO they really balance out and perfect the flavor.
The flavours of this chicken burger is outstanding and the aroma around the house is wonderful. We all enjoyed these burgers, I followed the recipe as is but because I had a few more people waiting for dinner I forgot to add the treacle/molasses. Without the treacle/molasses the burgers were still amazing. Thank you Sharon123