1/2 Photos of Fabulous Filbert Football Cookies Aka Super Bowl Cookies
You guests won't fumble when you "pass" them these delicious cookies! Dig out your football shaped cookie cutter and remember "Laces out!". We did tutorials a while back, and this recipe was one of the mini tutorials. http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=226633
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) or 1 cup margarine, softened to room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup filberts, toasted and ground (hazelnuts)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1In large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and butter until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- 2Add egg and cinnamon; beat until light and fluffy.
- 3Add flour, cocoa and baking soda, beating on low speed to combine.
- 4Mix in ground nuts. Dough will be somewhat stiff.
- 5Shape dough into 2 flat rounds; cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- 6On surface dusted lightly with flour, roll out 1 round at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. The dough may be a bit stiff at first and crack a bit. That's ok keep at it, they will be fine :).
- 7With cookie cutter, cut out football shapes.
- 8Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets coated with cooking spray or parchment paper.
- 9Using a knife, mark laces on 1/2 of the footballs. These will be the "tops".
- 10Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are no longer moist.
- 11Remove from cookie sheets and place on wire racks to cool.
- 12Place white chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe dish; microwave on 50 percent power for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring every 30-45 seconds until the chips are melted.
- 13Fill pastry bag fitted with a tip to achieve a thin line with white chocolate mixture. Pipe melted white chocolate onto the back of an unmarked cookie; top with a cookie with laces marked on it to make a sandwich. Decorate the top by piping on additional melted white chocolate to resemble laces on football.
- 14Repeat with remaining cookies.
- 15Makes 2 to 3 dozen cookies, depending on size of cutter.
- 16I recommend doubling the white chocolate mixture so you can be a bit more generous with the filling. I make 1 batch per round of cookie dough.
- 17Based on a recipe from the National Pork Board :).
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Filbert Football Cookies Aka Super Bowl Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2788.0
- Calories from Fat 1535
- Total Fat 170.6 g
- Saturated Fat 81.0 g
- Cholesterol 361.6 mg
- Sodium 1129.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 296.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 159.9 g
- Protein 38.1 g