1/1 Photo of Fabulous Fattoush
A simple yet resourceful salad that uses up day old Arabic or pita bread. (See Arabian Pita Bread for an easy Arabic bread recipe.) I added one or two CG twists to this, combining various recipes from cookbooks and online. The local farmers' market was a great help, too! Purslane leaves were added (about 1 cup.) It is available from farmers' markets and in well-stocked grocery stores. If you cannot find it, substitute baby spinach, watercress, arugula/rocket or nasturtium leaves. Purslane can also be found in some packaged mixed greens-a.k.a. mesclun, field greens or spring mix. Look for it in the ingredients' list on the back of the package. Quality ingredients, especially good quality olive oil are very important in this salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lemon cucumbers or 1 English cucumber
- 6 scallions
- 340.19 g tomato, chopped
- 113.39 g golden tomato, cut in half
- 3 pita bread or 3 arabic bread, day old
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 236.59 ml purslane, rinsed and drained
- 158.51 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 118.29 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml ground sumac
- freshly cracked black pepper
- lemon wedge, for garnish
- 1Whisk together in a non-reactive bowl the olive oil, lemon juice, sumac and black pepper. Set aside.
- 2Dice the lemon cucumbers. (If using English cucumber, peel then dice.) Chop the scallions and mix the cucumbers, scallions and tomatoes together in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and allow to stand 10 minutes.
- 3Toast the bread until lightly browned then cool. Once cool enough to handle, break the bread up into 1 inch pieces and place in a serving bowl or platter.
- 4Cover the bread with the cucumber/tomato mixture and let stand 10 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the juices.
- 5Chop the romaine lettuce, parsley and mint. Strip the purslane leaves from the stalks. Stir the herbs into the salad.
- 6Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and serve immediately.
- 7NOTE: DO NOT prepare the salad in advance. If the salad is prepared too soon it will turn soggy. Best eaten the same day it is prepared.
Nutritional Facts for Fabulous Fattoush
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.6
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 187.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: