Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
This recipe yields jucy, succulent chicken covered in a crispy crust that is not at all greasy. There is almost as much crust as there is chicken! Using vegetable shortening rather than oil gives the crust a snappy crispness. Use some of the chicken bits, removed from the oil, to make my Cream Gravy recipe!
Top Review by Julilynn
Excellent chicken. I used reg. Crisco in a deep fryer. The skin was very crispy. Only problem was chicken breasts took almost 1/2 hour to get done - legs and wings took about 20 minutes. Will definetly make again!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts
- salt and black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 -3 inches shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and dry the chicken parts with paper towels.
- Sprinkle the chicken parts generously with salt and pepper.
- Whisk thoroughly in a medium bowl the 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk and the 1 t. salt.
- Mix together on a plate: flour, 2 t. salt and 2 t. black pepper.
- Heat the shortening in a deep, heavy pot or deep-fat fryer to 350 degrees.
- Toss the breast meat pieces in the flour mixture and then moisten thoroughly in the egg mixture. Lift each piece out of the egg mixture, letting the excess drip off.
- Roll in the flour mixture again until completely coated. Sprinkle each piece with paprika.
- Then immerse into the hot oil. Fry for about 15 minutes or until cooked "through," turning the pieces several times.
- Remove the pieces to a baking sheet lined with brown paper bag or paper towels. Hold in a warm oven.
- Repeat the process with the thighs and drumsticks, frying those pieces for about 20 minutes.