Recipe by yewoinfamilycooking
Sunflower Seeds Dipping Sauce (Yesuf Fitfit) is one of the side-dishes of Ethiopia, usually prepared during Lent. It is used with Injera (Ethiopian flat bread). There are many ways of preparing a dish from the sunflower seeds and this is one of my recipes.
- 2 cups sunflower seeds
- 3 cups water (or more)
- 2 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 hot green pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 scallions (finely chopped) or 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder or 1 teaspoon ginger juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh basil (minced)
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the sunflower seeds with cold water.
- In a cooking pot, cover the sunflower seeds in cold water; boil for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain and place the cooked sunflower seeds in a food processor; add three cups of cold water; blend until all the seeds are crushed.
- Strain the sunflower sauce into a container; discard the sunflower sediments; cover the container and keep it in fridge to cool.
- Combine the finely chopped vegetables with lemon, oil, basil, garlic, ginger, salt and black pepper; mix it well.
- Add the vegetable mixture into the sunflower sauce container, mix well and keep in the fridge.
- Break Injera (Ethiopian flat bread) in small pieces; dip the pieces in the sunflower-vegetable sauce; or use it as dipping sauce for all kinds of bread.
- Serve it cold.
- Keep the sunflower sauce in fridge.