Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serve this dish with injera bread for an authentic Ethiopian meal. If you can't find injera, any flat bread would be delicious. Ethiopian Tomato & Cucumber Salad would make this a complete meal. Recipe from Homemakers magazine.
- 12 ounces lean lamb or 12 ounces beef sirloin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 green hot peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 -4 teaspoons berbere mixed spice, recommend Berbere Spice Mix (Ethiopian)
- Cut meat into thin 2 inch long strips and mix with garlic.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion and hot peppers until onion is light golden (about 4 to 5 min).
- Add red pepper ans salt; saute until red pepper is tender (about 2 to 3 min).
- Transfer onion mixture to bowl.
- In same pan, melt butter over high heat and saute meat mixture until seared all over (about 2 min).
- Stir in Berbere spice mix to taste; saute for 30 seconds.
- Serve with injera bread and Tomato & Cucumber salad.
- Keep extra Berbere spice mix on table to sprinkle over meat as desired.
I want to know other western food and recipies
The flavor of this dish was very good. The berbere spice mix packs a wollop, but still gives you wonderful flavor and a lingering heat. I did feel it was lacking a little depth, maybe a squeeze of lemon or some vinegar. Or maybe some fresh herbs at the end. All in all, a very good dish that has the potential to be something really special.