Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This tangy dip was made with goat or sheep's cheese, but you can substitute more readily available soft cheeses and add a little more lemon zest to simulate the original.
- 1 lb fresh goat cheese or 1 lb sheep's milk cheese, farmer's cheese or 1 lb pot cheese
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -3 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 teaspoon salt, about
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, about
- Combine all the ingredients.
- The mixture should be thick enough to maintain its shape.
- Serve with injera (Ethiopian pancake bread) or pita bread.
OK, I used pecorino cheese as I had a ¼ lb and some fresh basil; this seemed a good way to use both up. (I also have some real quality cilantro), so… In conjunction with this dip I made Christine’s Injera bread. [#10311] They work ok together. I am hoping my wife will play some ping-pong, loser cooks, because I am too full of cheese and buckwheat to cook well. Anyhow this is ok, but still, in the end rather Mediterranean, not the exotic “ETHIOPIAN,” I was hoping for. I must note my lemon zest is prissy, and making little dent in the taste.