Recipe by Umberle
This is...not healthy, but oh so good. I got this recipe out of the Gourmet Cookbook. I've modified it only slightly. Now that I've made it once, my bf asks for it over and over again :roll: I serve it over whole grain pasta with a salad and a nice white wine.
Top Review by Gerry
We enjoyed. An excellent combination of seasonings. Used sweet Italian sausages. Did cut back on the garlic as I only had five cloves. Found the five cloves made for a lovely garlicy flavor. Also added most of the two tablespoons of flat leaf parsley when stirring in the butter leaving just a touch for sprinkling the top. Served in bowls along with crusty rolls. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe Umberle.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage, broken into 1 inch pieces (sweet or hot)
- 10 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 head escarole, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 cups white beans (cooked or canned any variety but I used great northern)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- kosher salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the sausage for about 7-10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic softens.
- Add escarole and cook until wilted (2 minutes).
- Add beans and cook for a minute.
- Add the stock and bring to a slow boil.
- Stir in the butter, cheese, tomatoes, and half of the parsley and cook until heated through and the butter is all melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.