1/2 Photos of Escalivada (Eggplant Salad With Onions and Peppers)
2 hrs 40 mins
Based on a recipe from Williams-Sonoma’s book, Savoring Spain & Portugal. The intro to the recipe states, “Although escalivar means 'to grill,' many restaurant cooks in Spain roast their vegetables, as it is easier and requires less maintenance. I have joined them.“ I haven’t tried this yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 yellow onions or 2 red Spanish onions, unpeeled
- 1 cup olive oil (plus extra for rubbing on onions)
- 3 eggplants (aubergines)
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers (capsicums)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (4 fl ounces/125 ml)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly ground to taste
- parsley, fresh flat-leaf (Italian)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Place onions in small baking pan and rub with olive oil. Roast in oven for about 1 hour, until tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool enough to handle, then peel and slice ½ -inch (12 mm) thick.
- 2Meanwhile, using a fork, prick the eggplants in several places and place them in a separate baking pan. Add the tomatoes to the pan and place in the oven along with the onions. Roast the tomatoes until the skins blacken, about 15 minutes, let stand until cool enough to handle, then peel and cut into cubes. Continue roasting eggplants until soft but not mushy, about 45 minutes. Let cool, then peel and tear into large strips. Set aside to drain in a colander.
- 3Set oven to broil (grill). Stem, seed and remove ribs (pith) from bell peppers. Place, cut sides down, on a baking sheet. Broil (grill) until the skins blacken and blister. Remove from the broiler (grill), cover loosely with aluminum foil, and allow to cool for 10 minutes, and then peel away the skins. Cut into long narrow strips.
- 4In large bowl, combine onions, eggplants, tomatoes, and peppers. In small bowl, whisk together the 1 cup (8 fl ounce/250 ml) oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add to eggplant mixture and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Escalivada (Eggplant Salad With Onions and Peppers)
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.9
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 11.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 3.8 g