Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a perfect Litha cake! You can make it using the box of white cake mix as instructed, or make your own and do it from scratch. You can also substitute as recommended in the recipe, for a more healthy option.
- 1 (15 ounce) package white cake mix (any brand you prefer)
- 4 tablespoons additional flour
- 1 (3 ounce) package sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (diced or sliced and in syrup) or 1 cup strawberry, home cooked and sweetened with sugar substitute
- 8 whole fresh strawberries (set aside for final decoration)
- 1 (12 ounce) can whipping cream (with nozzle, also for decoration) or 1 (12 ounce) cansugar free whipping cream
- 1 cup butter (room temperature) or 1 cup margarine (room temperature)
- 1 cup mashed strawberries, in syrup, drained, and at room temperature or 1 cup strawberry, home cooked mashed, and sweetened with sugar substitute to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar or 2 cups splenda artificial sweetener
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix cake mix, flour and jellatin, add oil and beat in eggs, one by one.
- Add water and strawberries and mix well.
- Bake in 3 greased 9" round pans for 30-35 minutes.
- When cooled completely, add icing and assemble into a three-layer cake.
- Mix butter with mashed strawberries.
- Mix in SIFTED, powdered sugar until of spreading consistency.
- When cake is cooled, apply to cake as desired.
- After cake is iced and icing has set[hardened a bit to the touch], use a toothpick to designate the Wheel of the Year points.
- You can, of course, use all 8, or just the 4 cross quarters, whichever you prefer.
- Make a bed of whipped cream at each point and top off with a fresh strawberry in each bed.