Prep 72 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Yes, it was my first in icing and decorating a Christmas Cake, I am that proud I wish to share it.
- 500 g marzipan
- 1 kg royal icing (ready to roll)
- 25 g apricot jam
- 50 g icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- If you have thawed your Christmas Cake please de-thaw prior to using this guide. If you have your Christmas Cake ready -- Let's go.
- Warm Apricot Jam through until it sightly bubbles. Either on the hob or in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Set this aside.
- Dust surface with a little icing sugar.
- Roll out marzipan, dusting now and then, to desired size enough to cover cake top and sides.
- Brush Cake with Apricot Jam, this ensures marzipan will stick.
- Lift onto rolling pin and smooth out over cake, so it sticks to cake.
- Trim excess.
- Wrap Cake in clingfilm and leave for marzipan to harden for 2 days. Please store in a dry cool place.
- 2 DAYS LATER.
- Remove clingfilm, and brush marzipan surface with water.
- Prepare royal icing as described in steps 3, 4 and 6, 7.
- With excess icing roll into a ball and create a whole in the centre add drop of yellow food colouring and work the icing, dusting with icing sugar to prevent sticking.
- Once the icing has a consistent light yellow colour, roll out icing to a 1/2 cm thickness all over.
- Take a star shape cookie cutter (or any other shape you prefer) and cut as many stars as you can, re roll icing if more stars needed.
- Brush the back of the stars with water (not too much just enough to stick) and arrange on cake.
- At edges press stars down and trim any excess such as points that go over the edge.
- Once all stars have been placed, leave cake for 24hours so icing can harden.
- Dada! On professionally looking Christmas Cake! Well Done!