Adapted from Vij's restaurant in Vancouver. I have halved the recipe and reduced the amount of oil. This is delicious as a side or as a main. When buying eggplant, compare eggplants of the same size and buy the one that weighs the less. It will have more meat and fewer seeds.
- Chop the green onions, the white parts, 1/4 inch long and the green parts 3/4 inch long. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, chili powder, turmeric, cayenne and salt. Add eggplant, tomatoes and onions and stir well to make sure the veggies are well coated.
- In a shallow heavy pan, heat oil on medium-high heat for 45 seconds. Pour curry into the pan and stir well.
- Sauté about 3 minutes, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring once halfway. Turn off the heat and stir once more.
- If you are not serving the curry right away, remove the lid or it will become to mushy.