Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
The title says it all. Im told that this is a staple in New York but I've yet to experience it. If making the pizza dough from scratch try Pizza Dough (bread machine)--it's very yummy!
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1 inch round circles. Lay single file on baking sheet and lightly salt to coat eggplant. Place 2nd baking sheet on top of eggplants and weight down top with a couple cans of whatever you have in the cupboard. Let sit for about 2 hours, at this point liquid will have gathered at the bottom of the sheets (this is the bitter). Once the 2 hours have past rinse off the eggplant and pat dry.
- If you are making pizza dough you can start the eggplants at the same time, that way they will both be ready for the next stage together.
- Prepare 1-2 pizza shells, cover with your favorite tomato sauce.
- Take your rinsed and dried eggplant and coat in flour, heat a small sauce pan and add the 1/2 cup of oil. Once hot begin deep frying the eggplant slices until golden brown, place on paper towel to get rid of excess oil. once your eggplants are finished your ready to finish the pizza.
- Layer with eggplants, mozzarella & Parmesan. Or leave out cheese for a Vegan version.
- Bake in a 375°F oven until pizza shell and cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with a nice green salad and enjoy!