Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe was published in a cook book put together by the owners of an Italian restaurant. I had this dish there and loved it.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- oil (for frying)
- 1 lb thickly sliced provolone cheese
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1⁄4 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice eggplant (lengthwise).
- Dip slices into eggs.
- Coat with breadcrumbs.
- In a heavy skillet, add enough oil to cover bottom, then add eggplant slices.
- Do not overlap.
- Brown quickly on both sides.
- Repeat until eggplant is fried.
- Remove eggplant and drain on paper towels.
- Wash and cut asparagus into 4 inch lengths.
- Steam asparagus for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Fold one slice of Provolone Cheese in half and place on top of a fried eggplant slice.
- Place 2 asparagus spears on top of provolone.
- Carefully roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- Continue until all slices are rolled.
- Place rolls in a buttered shallow baking dish.
- Cover rolls with remaining slices of cheese.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350 egree oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.