Recipe by JustJanS
Great with crusty bread, or BBQued lamb or chicken. Prep time doesn't include degorging or cooling time.
Top Review by Peter J
This was a really simpe to put together and great tasting relish, I left everything quite chunky and it was great along with roast beef. I did end up with a little liquid left over but just left that behind while transferring to the dish. I only had dried oregano so added a decent sprinkle for the last few minutes of cooking and added fresh parsely at the end for some additional colour and texture.
- 2 medium eggplants (about 700g)
- salt, for degorging
- 125 ml olive oil
- 1 medium red capsicum, quartered, deseeded, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely crushed
- 55 g kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Coarsely chop the eggplant and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Place in a colander and stand for 10 minutes.
- Rinse well under cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium high heat, add the eggplant, capsicum and garlic and stir to coat with the olive iol.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally,for 30 minutes or until the eggplant has softened and the mixture is thick.
- Transfer the relish to a bowl and allow to stand for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Stir in the olives and oregano and serve warm or at room temperature.