Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
Nice Italian recipe
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small eggplant, peeled sliced
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In al large saucepan over low heat, cook green onion and mushrooms in 1/4 c water, until tender.
- Add spaghetti sauce; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt over sliced eggplant; set aside to drain about 10 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, beat egg white and water together.
- Dip eggplant in egg mixture, then into flour.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat a few drops of oil over medium heat.
- Add eggplant slices and cook until browned, turning once; drain on paper towel.
- Continue until all slices are cooked.
- In a 13" x 9" casserole, spread about 1/2 c sauce.
- Add a layer of eggplant, top with 1/2 c cottage cheese and more sauce.
- Repeat until all ingredients are used, ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered 30 minute.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
My husband rules the kitchen in our house. He made this dish and it was fantastic! It was easy to make, but took some time to prepare. It's completely worth it though..
This was an excellent and tasty recipe. It converted my eggplant hating husband into an eggplant loving husband. I added cooked lasagne noodles and it turned out to more of a lasagne dish. I increased the tomato sauce added to the 'shrooms by 2 cups because it seemed like I ran out of sauce. I have made this 2 times so far, and plan on using it for a dinner party because it's so good!
Instead of cooking onion(I substituted white onions) and mushrooms in water, I sauteed in butter til tender. I increased mushrooms to an 8oz container and used 8 oz of cheese. Very tasty. I'd call this a meatless lasagna. I think this will become a family favorite. (Prep time was approximately 45 minues. It could be shortened if you fry eggplant in 2 pans instead of waiting to use the one.)