Recipe by CountryLady
Another selection from the Greatest Ever Tapas. Even though she doesn't like eggplant, my daughter "may" bring this to my Zaar tapas party! The timing doesn't including standing.
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons Spanish olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely choppe
- 1⁄2 juice and lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick the skins of the eggplants & peppers all over with a fork & brush with 1 tbsp of the olive oil; place on a baking sheet & baked in a preheated 375F oven for 45 minutes, or until the skins are beginning to turn black, the flesh of the eggplant is very soft & the peppers are deflated.
- Place the vegetables into a bowl & cover tightly with a clean, damp dish towel or place in a plastic bag; let stand for about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the eggplants in half, lengthwise, scoop out the flesh & discard the skin; cut into large chunks.
- Remove & discard the stem, seeds & core from the peppers; cut the flesh into large pieces.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet; add the vegetables & cook for 5 minutes, add garlic & cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Turn the skillet contents onto paper towels to drain & transfer into a food processor; add the remaining ingredients, plus salt & pepper to taste, and process until a speckled puree is formed.
- Transfer to serving bowl; serve warm, at room temperature or cool for 30 minutes, chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour & serve cold – with thick slices of baguette or toast.