Recipe by seahorse73
Saw this on Martha Stewart, I changed the recipe by peeling the eggplant, I do not like the skin from eggplant. Cook time varies. Prep time does not include eggplant sitting overnight, just the frying time. Enjoy! This is great, especially in summer with fresh tomatoes!!
Top Review by MissMia
I was doing a search online for this recipe and was surprised to find it here. My boyfriend's uncle is the owner of Pasta Nostra and he (my bf) appeared with him on another cooking segment on Martha Stewart (Cappelacci con Zucca). Anyway, not that any of that matters. I was looking for this recipe because it is to DIE FOR. It is absolutely amazing. We garnish it with fresh basil and I cannot get enough. Make more than you think you need because there won't be enough.
Thanks for posting!
- 2 large eggplants, peeled
- coarse salt
- corn oil
- dried Greek oregano
- 15 tablespoons baita cheese or 15 tablespoons montasio cheese, grated
- 7 1⁄2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel eggplant lengthwise.
- Slice crosswise 1/2-inch-thick.
- Layer slices in a colander, sprinkling each layer generously with salt.
- Set colander over a bowl and weight with a heavy object.
- Transfer to refrigerator, and let stand overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 1/2-inch oil over high heat.
- Remove eggplant from colander, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Working in batches, add eggplant to skillet.
- Cook until golden brown, turning once.
- As each batch is finished, transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- On a nonstick rimmed baking sheet, arrange 3 slices of eggplant in an overlapping circular pattern.
- Repeat process until you have used half of the eggplant.
- Sprinkle with a small pinch of oregano.
- Top each with 1 1/2 tablespoons of each cheese.
- Using a spray bottle filled with water, lightly spray cheese to moisten.
- Top with tomato slices, and season with salt.
- Repeat process using remaining ingredients to make a second layer.
- Top each with 1 1/2 tablespoons Baita cheese.
- Spray with a little more water.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to baking sheet.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
- Serve immediately.