Top Review by athene1710
I'm always looking for egg-free cake recipes. I don't eat eggs in anything else and it seems a waste to buy 6 when I need two for a cake. This is a really nice, moist tasty cake. I didn't have any fresh ginger, so I used ground and some allspice. The only part it drops a star on is the oven timing wasn't quite right - mine was starting to burn after about 40 minutes, so an hour didn't seem right.
- 1 cup sour cream (I use low-fat plain yogurt as a substitute)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cream (or yogurt if substituting), sugar and honey together in a bowl.
- Sift in flour and ginger.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water.
- Add baking soda-water mixture to the flour-honey mixture.
- Mix well.
- Grease a loaf tin.
- Pour mixture into the greased loaf tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.