Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup sour cream (I use low-fat plain yogurt as a substitute)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons water
- Mix cream (or yogurt if substituting), sugar and honey together in a bowl.
- Sift in flour and ginger.
- Dissolve baking soda in warm water.
- Add baking soda-water mixture to the flour-honey mixture.
- Mix well.
- Grease a loaf tin.
- Pour mixture into the greased loaf tin.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
I'm always looking for egg-free cake recipes. I don't eat eggs in anything else and it seems a waste to buy 6 when I need two for a cake. This is a really nice, moist tasty cake. I didn't have any fresh ginger, so I used ground and some allspice. The only part it drops a star on is the oven timing wasn't quite right - mine was starting to burn after about 40 minutes, so an hour didn't seem right.
I made this this evening as it is Oman's 32nd National Day and we had guests coming over. I wanted to try something new- had a fresh bottle of honey on hand and exactly 2 cups of flour- voila, I just had to get going in the kitchen, ofcourse:) I baked this in my AMC Dutch Oven from 5:15pm-6:30pm. It was still not baked! So, I kept it covered and opened it at 9pm - It was DONE! BAKED! Luckily for me, our guests turned up late and got to have a huge slice each of this delicious bread! My dad loves the fact that this loaf is eggless and butter/margarine-less as well! It's a BIG achievement for me to finally bake something successfully without eggs and fat! Doing an endless happy dance today and smiling from ear to ear :)