Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this of a Television show, and made them for breakfast. The family loved them and have asked for me to make them again. They are very filling and would be great served as a meal for an easy dinner as they are served on toast.
- 8 large firm tomatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 100 g shaved leg ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup grated tasty cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- toast, to serve
- Cut tops off tomatoes, about 4cm in diameter. Cut a small slice from base of each tomato to sit flat.
- Scoop out pulp.
- Place tomatoes on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Whisk eggs and cream in a large bowl until combined.
- Stir in herbs, ham and half the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour filling into tomato cases.
- Divide remaining cheese and sprinkle over top of each tomato case.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 45 minutes or until egg is set.
- Serve tomatoes on toast.
Great breakfast for the DM and I this morning. I scaled back for 2 tomatoes and we had 1 each. Baked at 170C fan forced but would recommend checking at the 30 to 35 minute mark. Would also like to try this using smoked salmon in place of the ham. Served with buttered wholemeal/wholegrain toast. Thanks Tisme for another keeper, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 11.
This recipe tasted like a bite of summer when I made it during a cold winters evening. I modified the recipe by cutting the tomato in half lenghtwise so I had two tomato boats which I filled with egg mixture. It cooked quicker (about 25-30 min). Used sliced deli ham and sharp cheddar cheese as well as low-fat milk to help cut some calories. Fit two tomato halves on one piece of lightly buttered toast. Very filling as well as satisfying.