Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
From www.aicr.org. Substitute soymilk for the milk if you wish. Creamy and comforting-celebrate the glory of roasted vegetables!
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 -3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1⁄2 small fennel, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red skin white potato, diced
- 2 large shallots, quartered
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and cut into wedges
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups acorn squash, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (read *NOTE)
- 2 cups low-fat milk (or plain soymilk)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced small (optional)
- *NOTE: substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon each of ground allspice, ground coriander and black pepper for the garam masala.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet. Place the cut up vegetables on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle or spray a bit more oil on the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Bake the vegetables 15 minutes. Stir and bake about 10 minutes longer or until softened.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large soup pot. Add the garam masala and 3 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover soup pot. Simmer until the vegetables are very soft, about 20 minutes. Add the milk (or soymilk). Heat through but do not boil.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup mixture until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper. Can be served hot or chilled.
- Garnish with the diced tomatoes if desired.
- For Vegan, use soymilk!