Recipe by Converting to vegan
This tasty mushroom and red wine based gravy is better (in my opinion) than the gloopy meat-based versions. You can change the herbs you add based on your taste preferences. I like to make it extra peppery.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
I stuck to the recipe even though I don't particularly like mushrooms, this made an excellent gravy, which I served with recipe#457786 and recipe#357601, a lovely meal, thank you, Converting To Vegan! Made for PAC Fall 2011
- 8 mushrooms, chopped finely
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (any dry variety e.g. shiraz, merlot, cabernet sauvignon)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all the chopped mushrooms in a pot with a teaspoon of water, cover and cook on a low heat until the mushrooms have released all their juices (~5 minutes).
- Add 1.5 cups of water, warm it up to almost boiling and dissolve the vegetable bouillon cube in the mixture.
- Add and mix in the red wine.
- Add all the herbs.
- Mix the flour and remaining water in a small cup until all the lumps are gone.
- Slowly add the flour mixture into the gravy while stirring vigorously to prevent clumping, until the gravy has reached your desired thickness.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over just about anything including potatoes, veggie burgers, veggie meatloaf etc.