Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was buying Ragu my entire life and it was never quite enough or too much. It was also expensive compared to a can of tomato sauce. So I thought I'd try to make my own. I found out that it was super easy to do.
- 737.08 g can tomato sauce
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes, petite
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and bay leaf to a saucepan.
- Simmer with a lid on for about 1/2 hour to get rid of that 'canned tomato' taste.
- READY TO SERVE.
- MEAT SAUCE VARIATION:.
- After letting sauce simmer for about 15 minutes, I often add 1 lb browned ground turkey and 1 cup sauteed diced onion. I let it simmer another 1/2 hour and it is ready to go over pasta.
This recipe is a good start. I felt it needed more flavor. I modified it by putting in garlic, ketchup, onion powder, sugar, salt, pepper and a little water to thin out the sauce a bit. Not bad after those additions.
This lives up to it's name-easy! And very good. I love a thick spaghetti sauce and this is thick. I made it to freeze in single serve containers to take in the motorhome for easy lunches. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.