Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Need to get both simple carbs and a good protein quotient in after a workout? I've been on a roasting frenzy lately with various legumes to have a quick, hot, nutritious dish that doesn't yield much (since I'm cooking for just me.) I use All-Purpose Mexican Seasoning but storebought works too. This is great to have with a salad, piece of bread or fruit but would also make a nice side dish for a sit-down dinner. Simple and cheap too!
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning (All-Purpose Mexican Seasoning)
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- Rinse and drain the kidney beans and put them into a tossing bowl.
- Pour in the olive oil, seasoning, and nutritional yeast and shake until fully coated.
- Put the beans into a baking dish and cover it with foil, loosely venting on the side. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
I loved this! The nutritional yeast gives it a parmesan cheese-like quality, but even better cuz it's good for you! The first time I made it, hubs said it was too spicy. Next time I added diced sweet potatoes (microwaved first to partially cook them), onions, and peppers. I also used less Mexican seasoning and instead tried some Tajin, which is a chili and lime seasoning. Delicious!
Absolutely delicious! I plan on making this again and again. I paired it with some roasted tomatoes, and it was a very satisfying and healthy dinner.