Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick and easy doctored cake-mix recipe that's perfect for Halloween parties and birthday parties in the fall. I've decreased the fat content by using some lower fat ingredients and the flavors are still amazing.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two 12-muffin pans with paper baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, egg whites, water, oil, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.
- Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Fill each paper cup about 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean. Set aside on metal rack to cool.
- Prepare frosting by placing cream cheese, butter, sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium until well-combined and smooth.
- For a prettier, more elegant presentation, use a piping bag to frost cooled cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles or other fall/halloween deco items if desired.
Very yummy for a lighter recipe. We really enjoyed it. Super easy and fast. Will definately use over and over. I did make this as a 13x9-cake instead of the cupcakes tho, but that doesn't matter in the taste! :)
This cupcake was very good. I took it to a pot luck and many people went back for a second, lots of compliments.I made two changes, I used a spice cake mix and I used pumpkin pie filling and omitted the spices (because that's all I had- it worked wonderfully) The texture was light and moist. I also made my own frosting using 1 pkg of softened cream cheese, whipped with about 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar. I then whipped 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream until very stiff and gently folded the two mixtures together. Using a lg star tip I frosted the cupcakes then drizzled them with caramel (I used ice cream topping) for a finishing touch I LIGHTLY sprinkled coarse salt (sea salt) on top. The salt intensifies the caramel like none other! All the flavors meld perfectly, the extra light fluffy frosting really lets the pumpkin and caramel come through. I will be making these all fall!!
The flavor is good, but the texture is kind of gummy. If I try these again, I would make them according to the directions on the box(with eggs, oil and water) and then just add a can of pumpkin. They definitely were easy!