A quick and easy doctored cake-mix recipe that's perfect for Halloween parties and birthday parties in the fall. I've decreased the fat content by using some lower fat ingredients and the flavors are still amazing.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two 12-muffin pans with paper baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, egg whites, water, oil, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.
- Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Fill each paper cup about 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean. Set aside on metal rack to cool.
- Prepare frosting by placing cream cheese, butter, sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium until well-combined and smooth.
- For a prettier, more elegant presentation, use a piping bag to frost cooled cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles or other fall/halloween deco items if desired.