Recipe by RunninLion
A quick and easy doctored cake-mix recipe that's perfect for Halloween parties and birthday parties in the fall. I've decreased the fat content by using some lower fat ingredients and the flavors are still amazing.
Top Review by Cookinggina
Very yummy for a lighter recipe. We really enjoyed it. Super easy and fast. Will definately use over and over. I did make this as a 13x9-cake instead of the cupcakes tho, but that doesn't matter in the taste! :)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line two 12-muffin pans with paper baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, egg whites, water, oil, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.
- Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Fill each paper cup about 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean. Set aside on metal rack to cool.
- Prepare frosting by placing cream cheese, butter, sugar and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium until well-combined and smooth.
- For a prettier, more elegant presentation, use a piping bag to frost cooled cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles or other fall/halloween deco items if desired.