Recipe by bhoonster
This is a good starter recipe for a young couple; easy to make and tastes great. I got it from a website for freezer recipes -- can't remember which one.
Top Review by MamaRatliff
So much easier than Mom's! We use 2 cups colby jack and monterrey cheese and add it to the layers plus a whole cup sour cream in the mixture (we don't care about fat) and substitute green salsa for the picante. Oh, and some Cumin to give the chicken a smokey flavor. Canned Rotel tomatoes and canned chicken make it super easy. Add some chopped black olives on top and it's almost like Mom's.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup mild flavored picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 (6 inch) tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix chicken, tomatoes, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, picante sauce, and powder in a bowl.
- Arrange 1/3 of the tortillas to cover the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Spoon 1/2 of chicken mixture on top of tortillas.
- Arrange last 1/3 of tortillas on top of the mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.