Recipe by Photo Momma
I got this recipe from http://www.glutenfreehub.com and wanted to share these wonderful little gems with everyone here! Because they really are a great cupcake, gluten free or not. My GF friend loves them (and so does my picky NON GF husband.) :-) (Note: I was able to find the Betty Crocker GF cake mix at Kroger).
Top Review by viedvacker
These cupcakes are Amazing! I didn't make them red, so we just called them velvet cupcakes, and they are like velvet! So moist & delicious. Going to make them again for the second weekend in a row.
- 1 (15 ounce) boxbetty crocker gluten free yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagechocolate-flavored instant pudding mix (Jello brand is gluten free) or 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package pie filling (Jello brand is gluten free)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitues!)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (McCormicks and Tones are GF)
- 8 ounces cold cream cheese (Philadelphia is gluten-free)
- 5 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a large mixing bowl at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. (The remaining ingredients are for the frosting!).
- Once combined, spoon the mixture into muffin pans lined with cupcake liners. Bake for 16 – 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when you stick it in the center.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for five minutes, then carefully remove them and place them on cooling racks.
- For the Frosting:.
- Beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until combined (but do not whip). Add salt.
- Gradually add powdered sugar with the mixer on slow until desired sweetness/texture.
- These cupcakes should be kept in the refrigerator if they aren’t eaten within 12-24 hours due to the cream cheese frosting!