The technique may seem a little strange here, but it is not unlike making a dressing or stuffing for poultry. The end result is a delicious vegetarian main dish for the fall. It has a rich taste and meaty texture; some of my vegetarian friends were very suspicious while eating it, but I wouldn't fool them!
- Peel and slice the eggplant 1 cm thick and place the slices on a plate in a single layer.
- Salt them heavily, cover with another plate and weight.
- Leave for 1/2 to one hour.
- Cut the bread into cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Sauté the bread cubes with the spices in 1 tbsp of olive oil, and lay them in a small lasagne pan when they are nicely browned.
- Rinse and gently squeeze dry the eggplant.
- Cut it in to 1 cm cubes and sauté them, with the onion, in the remaining olive oil, until the eggplant is tender.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes.
- Mix into the toasted bread cubes in the lasagne pan.
- Top with the grated cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.