1/2 Photos of Easy Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
1 hr 15 mins
Jenny Sanders's Note:
The technique may seem a little strange here, but it is not unlike making a dressing or stuffing for poultry. The end result is a delicious vegetarian main dish for the fall. It has a rich taste and meaty texture; some of my vegetarian friends were very suspicious while eating it, but I wouldn't fool them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and slice the eggplant 1 cm thick and place the slices on a plate in a single layer.
- 2Salt them heavily, cover with another plate and weight.
- 3Leave for 1/2 to one hour.
- 4Cut the bread into cubes.
- 5Peel and chop the onion.
- 6Sauté the bread cubes with the spices in 1 tbsp of olive oil, and lay them in a small lasagne pan when they are nicely browned.
- 7Rinse and gently squeeze dry the eggplant.
- 8Cut it in to 1 cm cubes and sauté them, with the onion, in the remaining olive oil, until the eggplant is tender.
- 9Add the tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes.
- 10Mix into the toasted bread cubes in the lasagne pan.
- 11Top with the grated cheese.
- 12Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (451 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.8
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.5 mg
- Sodium 850.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 17.8 g