Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
The technique may seem a little strange here, but it is not unlike making a dressing or stuffing for poultry. The end result is a delicious vegetarian main dish for the fall. It has a rich taste and meaty texture; some of my vegetarian friends were very suspicious while eating it, but I wouldn't fool them!
- 1 large italian eggplant
- 1 large onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 slices dry whole whole wheat bread
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, rubbed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 200 g old cheddar cheese, grated
- Peel and slice the eggplant 1 cm thick and place the slices on a plate in a single layer.
- Salt them heavily, cover with another plate and weight.
- Leave for 1/2 to one hour.
- Cut the bread into cubes.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Sauté the bread cubes with the spices in 1 tbsp of olive oil, and lay them in a small lasagne pan when they are nicely browned.
- Rinse and gently squeeze dry the eggplant.
- Cut it in to 1 cm cubes and sauté them, with the onion, in the remaining olive oil, until the eggplant is tender.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes.
- Mix into the toasted bread cubes in the lasagne pan.
- Top with the grated cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
My husband loved this - I followed this recipe but did substitute mozzarella for the cheddar and added 1/4 c grated parmesan. I thought this was quite good and a great way to use up some extra eggplant from the garden. I'm thinking you could easily add cooked chicken to this to make a one dish meal. I would not hesitate to use this as a vegetarian main dish as written.<br/>Had a nice bottle of Malbec with this - it was a great dinner.
My husband & I both thought this tasted great. It remined me of a middle eastern eggplant salad only warm. I used fresh & not dried herbs as that's all I had. My 16 year old thought this was pretty good & would have given it 4 stars, my 10 year old does not yet have a developed palate- my suggestion would be to save this dish for adults who can really appreciate it!