Not only is this cake taste absolutely delicious, it's beautiful to look at! Because of the whipped cream and fresh strawberries this cake is best eaten the same day it is made.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a bowl beat the cake mix with buttermilk, butter and eggs on low speed until just blended.
- Transfer the batter to prepare cake pans.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes, or until cakes test done.
- Cool on wire racks for about 10 minutes; remove from pans and brush the top of each cake layer with 3 tablespoons of strawberry preserves.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Beat the whipping cream with 4 tablespoons of strawberry preserves and the powdered sugar on high speed of an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; arrange half of the sliced strawberries over the layer, then top with half of the whipped cream.
- Place the remaining layer on top and repeat with strawberry slices then the remaining whipped cream.
- Garnish with whole strawberries on top of desired.
This cake tasted fantastic! Only problem I had with it was one of my layers came out a little lop-sided so it was difficult to keep that side of the cake together. I'll make sure they're level next time. But the other side looked beautiful and the whole thing tasted divine. I love the softly strawberry flavored whipped cream due to putting in the strawberry preserves. A wonderful spring dessert!
YUM! And so easy! I used home made jam and it really kept the cake moistened, espeically because I made the cakes in advance, brushed them w/the jam and then froze them til the day I needed them. Then I copped out and just used Cool Whip instead of heavy whipping cream. But it was wonderful and everyone thought it was from scratch completely. Very delicious.
The strawberries in the preserves clashed too much with the fresh strawberries. The cake, however, was very rich and tasty. The batter is very thick like brownie mix before cooking, but comes out great after baking. This tastes even better after chilling overnight. Next time I will use strawberry jelly with no chunks in it.