Recipe by Shar-on
This recipe came off the package of dates from Francies Dates, Phoenix, AZ. Flavor is enhanced if cake is aged for a day or so. A nice moist date which can be served with whipped cream sprinkled with chopped nut, or dusted with powdered sugar or with ice cream or cake au lait. Enjoy!
Top Review by Shirl (J) 831
I had some dates to use up so I made this the other day. Let it sit a day before eating it. Added some powdered sugar and some cool whip and it was nummy !! I put some in the freezer so we shall see how that goes. I will reheat it and maybe add some coffee/chocolate syrup on it sounds scrumptious ! Thanks for posting this.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dates, chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degF.
- Prepare a 13 x 9 x 2 inch cake pan.
- Mix tog chopped dates, soda and boiling water and let stand.
- Mix tog butter, sugar and vanilla, then add the date mixture.
- Add the flour and chopped nuts.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake at 350 degF for approximately 35 minutes. Test cake with toothpick to see if done.Cool in pan.