Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Every time my family has a get together, my Aunt Bev is in charge of bringing the cream puffs. No matter how many times I've asked her for the recipe, I continue to lose it. I figured posting it here would keep it at hand forever. Don't let the steps involved trick you--these will be the easiest (and most delicious!) puffs you'll ever try!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, well chilled
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- For the puffs: Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat water and butter to a rolling boil in a medium sized saucepan. Turn heat down to low, and stir in flour with wooden spoon. Stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball.
- Remove from heat, and either place mixture into stand mixer or have a hand mixer ready. Add eggs all at one time, and beat everything together until smooth and shiny.
- Drop dough by scant 1/4 cup 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until puffed and golden brown. (Do not pull out too early or they will "fall." It is better to slightly overbake than to underbake!).
- Remove from oven, and cool to room temperature.
- For the filling: While the puffs are baking, in a medium to large mixer bowl, blend pudding with milk until all lumps are gone on low speed.
- Add whipping cream, and beat on medium speed for two minutes or until soft to semi-firm peaks form. Refrigerate mixture until puffs are ready to be filled.
- For the icing: Melt chocolate and butter over low heat in small saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in confectioner's sugar and about 2 tablespoons of hot water (more or less). Beat until smooth. Consistency should be able to "drizzle.".
- Assembly: Either cut tops off completely, or cut to the back to leave a "hinge." Fill puffs with pudding mix, replace tops, then drizzle with chocolate icing. Refrigerate until serving time. Best served day of.