Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I made this for my Mum last night, and it was awesome. My husband who is not a big fish fan really enjoyed it as well. I used a packaged rice pilaf but you could probably use long grain and wild rice, or other flavours that you like with a chicken or vegetable flavour base. You can use any type of white fish fillets, I made it as shown below.
- 1 cup long grain rice, prepared
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 8 sole fillets
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch glass baking pan.
- Prepare rice (pilaf, broccoli cheese, long grain and wild or other flavour) according to package directions (butter need not be added) and spread into bottom of baking dish.
- Distribute 1 cup of grated cheese over the rice.
- Saute sliced mushrooms about 10 minutes or until just cooked and put in single layer over grated cheese in casserole.
- Arrange raw spinach leaves over layer of mushrooms.
- Saute diced onion in a bit of oil until it begins to soften and sprinkle evenly over spinach.
- Arrange fish over the onion layer and sprinkle with pepper.
- Top with remainder of cheese and bake for 40 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Delicious and easy as said! I made a couple of changes because I couldn't get some things, I used mature gouda instead of cheddar and I used a couple of normal small onions instead of a videla. I really liked the mix of flavors and the use of fresh baby spinach. I think it would go well with any mild white fish. I will make it again for sure. Thanks for sharing! Made for PAC Spring 2014.