Recipe by lorbey
A delicious side dish for main dinners. Good with anything from hamburgers to pork chops to chicken. Has an addictive quality and kids love it!
Top Review by Joni #4
This dish is absolutely delicious! I give it 5 stars for it's simplicity and outstanding flavor. I used the condensed golden mushroom soup and followed the recipe as written. I baked the dish 5 minutes longer than suggested for a more golden appearance. This recipe is a keeper!
- 1 kg frozen hash browns
- 2 cups Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, for convenience you can also use the shredded cheese blends for an alternative
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom soup or 1 (8 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 500 g sour cream, you may use light if your calorie counting
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 oblong baking dish.
- Mix until well blended, sour cream, mushroom soup and salt and pepper, set aside.
- With a grater, shred 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- In a large bowl pour in frozen hash browns and cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Add in in sour cream mixture and be sure to stir together until well blended.
- Mixture may seem a little dry but trust in that it will be moist when it has finished baking.
- Pour into baking dish, pat down with a large spoon and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until it has cooked through and lightly browned all over.
- Personally all the ingredients I use are no-name products. I shred my own cheese because it is cheaper and add different types of cheese for different flavours. Use your imagination and mix it up a little but make sure you use a creamed soup.
- You can reduce the ingredients by half if your serving a smaller family or if that just happens to be all you have left in your fridge and/or freezer. You can also make it ahead of time and put it in the freezer so you can just pop it into the oven. For an extra large gathering, just double up on the recipe.
- Remember it is addictive and it makes a great late night snack heated up in the microwave.