Recipe by Snowbunny Andorra
A very easy recipe for cheese scones with a little kick from the cayenne. Best served straight from the oven, split and spread with plenty of butter.
- 250 g plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 250 g mature cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 130 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne and cheddar, reserving just a little to sprinkle on the tops of the scones.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the milk and oil.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and combine together with a spoon and then your hands. If the mixture won't hold together, add a splash more milk until it does.
- Use your hands to flatten the dough until it's about half a centimetre thick. Fold in half and flatten again to the same thickness.
- Use a cutter of your choice to press out the scones and arrange them on a baking tray. They don't spread much so you don't have to worry about leaving a large gap between each one. Sprinkle the reserved cheddar over the tops of the scones and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Bake until golden.