Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are nice for the kids to make and then hang out and watch for the birds.
- 1 lb chopped suet
- 1 cup wild bird seed
- 1 cup black oiled sunflower seeds
- 3 oranges (cut in half(pulp removed)
- Melt the suet in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in both seed an let stand for 20 minutes, or it starts to set, but not firm.
- Meanwhile, with the point of a small knife, punch two holes opposite each other in each orange half, 1/2" down from the cut edge.
- Pull end of string through the hole and tie a knot.
- Cut string to desired length for hanging and tie the ends together for hanging.
- Place each orange half in a small bowl and spoon the fat mixture into each half, mounding in the center.
- Refrigerate till firm.
- Hang outdoors.
The orange idea is great!!! Any recipe could be used in them. I love it!