Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 33 mins
Recipe Zaar is a great site for inspiration. I started canning tomatoes about 5 years ago starting with my mum's recipe and changing it up a bit. There are many wonderful Canned Tomatoe recipes on Recipe Zaar and hopefully someone out there might appreciate mine. This recipe also makes a great 'quick' tomatoe soup - just pour the whole jar into a food processor, season and heat!
- 20 lbs roma tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup rock salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 2 whole heads of garlic
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaf
- 1 bunch fresh oregano
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley (chopped fine)
- You will need 12 one litre jars or 1.5 litre jars washed and sterilized. Set out your jars and place the following in the bottom of the jar:.
- 1/2 teaspoon of rock salt.
- one round of fresh ground pepper.
- 1/8th teaspoon of whole peppercorns.
- 1 garlic clove skinned (if they're really big - cut in 1/2).
- 1 basil leaf.
- 1 sprig of greek oregano.
- teaspoon of italian parsley.
- top up jar with blanched/skinned tomatoes just under the neck of the jar.
- remove air bubbles with a chopstick.
- dry rims of jars and seal.
- process in boiling hot water just covered for 33 minutes.
Niki, We tried it this summer and wow.. This reminds me of the flavored tomatoes that Hunts puts out. Thanks a bunch for sharing. We'll be enjoying or flavourful canned tomatoes all winter. Maryanne