Recipe by Redsie
When I saw this recipe in Chatelaine magazine, I just had to try it! One of my favourite things about Easter is hot cross buns - so I was really happy to see an easy recipe for hot cross muffins! Now I can enjoy hot cross muffins all year round! You can bake as muffins or as a loaf.
Top Review by French Tart
I LOVED the orange juice in this - it was a great addition - these worked perfectly for me and we all enjoyed them thoroughly. I did not use dried apricots - I discovered I had none when I came to make these, so I doubled up on the peel, which is my home-made recipe and worked extremely well. Everyting else was exactly as written - my muffins, excuse me(!!) rose very high and were very light!! Very much a keeper for me - thanks for posting this wonderful idea....a great classic with a twist! FT:-)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup candied peel
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted icing sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place raisins in a small bowl. Pour juice overtop. Microwave, covered, until hot, 1 minute Set aside. Lightly coat or spray a 12-cup muffin tin or 9x5 inch loaf pan with oil. In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt and cloves. Stir in raisin mixture, candied peel and apricots.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk egg. Whisk in milk, oil, butter and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture. Stir just until mixed. Batter will be lumpy. Divide between muffin cups or scrape into loaf pan and smooth top.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until a cake tester inserted into centre of muffins or loaf comes out clean, 20 to 25 minute for muffins, 1 hour for loaf. Remove pan to a cooling rack. After 5 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely on rack. Store muffins or loaf in an airtight container and store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months.
- Stir sifted icing sugar with orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins in a criss-cross pattern to mimic hot cross buns or spoon over loaf, if you wish.