We came up with this idea the day before Easter 2010 and experimented a little, then made the plan for Easter morning. Attached are the pictures of that adventure. It brang a lot of smiles and satisfied bellies. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
For the pancakes
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup wheat flour or 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ (optional)
- 9 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup fat, substitute of choice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For the French Toast
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (you'll need 4 slices to make 4 servings) or 1 loaf French bread, cut on the diagonal into 1 slices (you'll need 4 slices to make 4 servings)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch cinnamon
For the decorations
- grapes (to make facial features on bunny) or strawberries (to make facial features on bunny) or blueberries (to make facial features on bunny) or banana (to make facial features on bunny)
- food coloring (various)
- confectioners' sugar
- colored sugar sprinkle
- Add the Pancake ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Separate batter into as many small bowls as needed to make the colored egg pancakes you want, reserving ½ the batter for making regular sized/colored pancakes for the bunny’s head.
- Cook one color pancake egg batch at a time in lightly greased cast iron pan. Pour the batter in an elongated fashion to shape small eggs (1” – 2”). Once flipped over, cook lightly to retain coloring. Collect all the eggs on one plate to later divvy up between the served plates. Once all the pancake eggs are done, work on making 3” round pancakes with the regular batter for the bunny face. You’ll need a stack of even width/size pancakes to match the thickness of the French toast bunny ears for each plate.
- Meanwhile cook the four pieces of sourdough or French bread cut on the diagonal in another lightly greased cast iron skillet; once cooked, cut the French Toast on the long axis to make bunny ears.
- Once done assemble the plates as shown in the photos and viola! Easter Bunny Pancakes with a colorful egg basket.