Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This popular Dutch "fast food" is a great way to use left overs like meat and mashed potatoes. Typically, croquettes are sold by street vendors and snack shops in Holland, but they are very easy to make.
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 29.58 ml melted butter (can substitute meat broth)
- 236.59 ml breadcrumbs or 3 slice bread, soaked in milk or 236.59 ml left over mashed potatoes
- maggi seasoning or Kitchen Bouquet, to taste
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 226.79 g of left over finely chopped meat (veal, chicken, beef, pork, etc.) or 226.79 g ground beef (veal, chicken, beef, pork, etc.)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten with a small amount of water
- 236.59-473.18 ml corn flake crumbs or 236.59-473.18 ml breadcrumbs, for coating
- vegetable oil (for frying, about 1/2 inch in the pan or enough for deep fry)
- Saute onion in butter (or broth) until tender.
- Add crumbs (or bread or mashed potatoes) to onion.
- Add seasonings, aroma and parsley to mixture.
- Add meat.
- Add broth or water if too dry.
- The mixture should be firm and stick together to form and hold shape.
- Form into 8 cylinder, balls, or pattie shaped croquettes.
- Coat with bread crumbs, then dip in the egg white, then in the bread crumbs again.
- Cook quickly in preheated hot oil until the outside is brown and the croquette is heated/cooked throughout.
- Serve hot with french fries and salad.
Its not the same but still yummy :) something is missing
No. U make a rue of butter , then flour, brown a bit and then beef bullion and then water or milk and make a huge deep fry pan full. Use biggest pan. ..and make sure it is very very thick cause that's the gravy and it has to set. Use more flour than normal. Should be sticky and heavy. and then add in roast beef and then after a bit add fresh parsley. I can add garlic or other veggies now. Then put on plates and smooth out in fridge for a few hrs till it's thick thick. Cold cold. Then roll in cylinders about size of palm, dip cylinders in egg wash, then flour, egg again and the mm bread crumbs and then deep fry. Serve with mustard or ketchup or horseradish over bed of greens. When u break open it's like roast and gravy and crispy bread at once. No don't use mashed potatoes. Maybe a tiny to make think but u should cut open to gravy! We r Dutch. Real thing! Rachelle VanDerWyst.
These may be nice but they are nothing like true Dutch Croquettes.