Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
This recipe came from many explorations of the combination of duck, pistachios, and Chartreuse. Due to Recipezaar's specific formatting, I can't list the ingredients for each component separately. The ingredients are in this order: Creme fraiche (first 2) Crepe batter (egg thru flour) Duck and apple filling (duck thru nuts) Butternut Squash soup with nutmeg makes a nice starter for this entree.
- 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon low-fat cultured buttermilk
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, room temp
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup plain white flour
Duck and apple filling
- 3 duck breasts (1.5 pound total)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon green chartreuse liqueur
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachio
- Start creme fraiche and crepe batter day before serving. Both each just take a few minutes on day one.
- Creme fraiche.
- Mix cream and buttermilk into a glass bowl or a Pyrex cup. Let sit in a warm place at least 24 hours to culture into creme fraiche. Stir occasionally.
- Day of serving:.
- Stir in 1/2tsp Chartreuse with a fork or whisk.
- Buckwheat crepes.
- Blend egg and water in blender until mixture is fluffy.
- While egg is being whipped in blender, melt butter in a small cup in microwave.
- Add milk to eggs and briefly mix.
- Mix buckwheat and regular flour in a bowl with a whisk. Add to blender and mix briefly.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Day of serving: take out crepe batter several hours before mealtime and let come to room temperature. Blend mixture briefly before cooking.
- Cook 6" crepes an hour before meal time. Store crepes on oven-proof pie plate or cookie sheet inside low temperature oven until assembly time.
- Duck and apple filling.
- Core apples and slice thinly. Let skins remain. Spread pieces in a pie plate and place in oven for warming one hour before serving (in the same oven keeping the crepes warm). This will heat apple slices but keep them crisp.
- Shell pistachios. Chop. If using a grinder, do not allow to turn to butter.
- Remove skins and slice duck breast meat thinly. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a large skillet over a stovetop set to medium low, place Chartreuse, water, butter, and salt. A few minutes before assembly and serving, add duck and cook in this skillet, frequently turning duck with spatula. This will only take a couple of minutes. Watch carefully and turn duck several times. It is very easy to overcook the duck. Cook duck pieces until center is still red - not quite done - and remove from heat. Residual heat will finish the cooking process.
- Place a cooked crepe onto a heated dinner plate. Then place duck, apples, 1 heaping tsp of creme fraiche, and 1 tsp of chopped pistachios. Roll filled crepe like a burrito.
- Make 4 filled crepes per serving.
- Add a teaspoon of creme fraiche on top of each filled crepe and sprinkle over all some of the reserved chopped pistachios.
- Put in warming-oven while you assemble rest of crepes.
- This recipe makes three filled crepes per person for four people.