Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A tasty way to add the green leafy vegetables we all need more of in our diets. This recipe is of my own creation and serves as a nice side dish for a wide range of proteins. Replace the bacon with vegetable oil and the chicken stock with vegetable stock to make the recipe vegetarian.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch red swiss chard, diced
- 1 bunch beets with tops
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup red wine (Merlot, Cabernet or similar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (sultanas)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground (fresh best)
- Fry bacon over medium-low heat in a large dutch oven until crisp. Add garlic and cook one minute. Add swiss chard and chicken stock. Peel beets and grate with a box grater or food processors. Dice the beet tops and add shredded beets and tops to pot. Add wine, pepper flakes, syrup and raisins. Simmer 20 minutes and add grated nutmeg to taste. Stir and serve.