Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I've never bought onion flakes but could see how it could be useful. Here is a recipe I found from recipecenter.com
- 1 large white onion
- 4 tablespoons dried onion (rounded TB)
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coarse salt (rounded TB)
- ONION FLAKES.
- mince onions.
- boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- cool in cold water.
- dry on paper towel.
- place on oven tray and dry in a slow oven until dry.
- Store in airtight containers once completely dry and cold.
- Add to soups and stews while dry, but for salads, rehydrate by soaking in boiling water for a few minutes. Once dry, they can be crushed as finely as desired.
- ONION SALT.
- measure out 4 TB dried onion and 2 tb unrefined coarse salt.
- if the onion has any moisture in it at all, some of the mixture will have to be scraped from the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula.
- store in a small jar, tightly sealed.