Recipe by Lparmoc
From the Pillsbury 7th Grand National contest-winners cookbook: "Peanut butter and chocolate layers on a butterscotch cookie base--a rich, candy-like bar cookie." Mrs. Ernest P. Fletcher won for this recipe. It is indeed dreamy, a heavenly combination of semi-sweet chocolate, creamy peanut butter, and buttery deliciousness!
Top Review by CoffeeB
These are a fabulous rich little bar/brownie. I can see why they won the Pillbury Bake-off. The only thing I omited from your recipe directions was the peanuts. Purely family preference (not mine). Thanks alot for sharing this recipe!~
- 314.66 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 78.07 ml shortening or 78.07 ml butter or 78.07 ml margarine, melted
- 236.59 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 59.14 ml peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 118.29 ml peanut butter
- 14.79 ml cream
- 236.59 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14.79 ml shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend brown sugar into melted shortening. Cool slightly.
- Add to brown sugar/shortening mix: vanilla, eggs (one at a time), beating well after each egg. Add the dry ingredients all at once; blend well.
- Spread into well-greased 9x9 or 11x7-inch pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (375 F) 15 to 18 minutes until it springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool slightly (about 5 minutes).
- Spread with Peanut Butter Topping, then with Chocolate Topping (see below). If desired, sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Cool; cut into bars or squares.
- Peanut Butter Topping: Heat peanut butter with cream in microwave on low heat, stirring til smooth and blended. Do not overheat.
- Chocolate Topping: Melt chocolate chips with shortening in microwave on very low heat, stirring just until melted. Do not overheat.