Recipe by Lparmoc
From the Pillsbury 7th Grand National contest-winners cookbook: "Peanut butter and chocolate layers on a butterscotch cookie base--a rich, candy-like bar cookie." Mrs. Ernest P. Fletcher won for this recipe. It is indeed dreamy, a heavenly combination of semi-sweet chocolate, creamy peanut butter, and buttery deliciousness!
Top Review by CoffeeB
These are a fabulous rich little bar/brownie. I can see why they won the Pillbury Bake-off. The only thing I omited from your recipe directions was the peanuts. Purely family preference (not mine). Thanks alot for sharing this recipe!~
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend brown sugar into melted shortening. Cool slightly.
- Add to brown sugar/shortening mix: vanilla, eggs (one at a time), beating well after each egg. Add the dry ingredients all at once; blend well.
- Spread into well-greased 9x9 or 11x7-inch pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (375 F) 15 to 18 minutes until it springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool slightly (about 5 minutes).
- Spread with Peanut Butter Topping, then with Chocolate Topping (see below). If desired, sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Cool; cut into bars or squares.
- Peanut Butter Topping: Heat peanut butter with cream in microwave on low heat, stirring til smooth and blended. Do not overheat.
- Chocolate Topping: Melt chocolate chips with shortening in microwave on very low heat, stirring just until melted. Do not overheat.