Recipe by gardenofsimple
My mother gave me a crock pot cookbook a few years ago. The cook book has been lost somehow (!) But I remember this recipe by heart. Its simple and great for fall and winter. My husband requests it all the time when the weather cools, and it has become our traditional Christmas Eve meal. As with most recipes, I make my own condensed cream soups, but for the ingredient list I put it in as canned.
Top Review by jcaskey
This recipe was very good. I took this to a ladies night at my church and several requested the recipe before I left. I doubled the recipe and cooked it for 10 hours. I did add 12 pieces of crisp bacon, crumbled (I bought the already cooked bacon) at the end when you add the cheese and sour cream. I will definately make this soup again.
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (or not)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped green onions, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I use a bit more)
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I use about 2 cups)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In crock pot combine potatoes, cream of mushroom, 1 cup of green onions and spices. Mix up well.
- Cook on low 8 hours.
- Add in cheese, sour cream and milk, stir until cheese melts.
- Add the remaining green onions before serving.
- We like this served with a garlic Tuscan bread.
- You can greatly differ the taste by experimenting with different flavors of cheddar cheese. We like Vermont extra sharp the best, but have also tried cheddar bacon and cheddar garlic.