Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Jalapenos too hot for you? Here's a simple way to tone them down but keep some of the interesting flavor in your dishes. Also, it's a great way to use the rest of a pepper when your recipe calls for less than one. Any pepper works here but I would favor hotter peppers such as jalapeno, serrano or fresno peppers over cubanelle, poblano or green/red peppers.
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 6 ounces dry sherry (not cooking sherry, please!)
- 1 jelly, jar with lid
- Cut the jalapenos in half and remove the seeds and membranes. Julienne the peppers (cut in long strips about 1/4 inch wide). Place the peppers in the jar and fill with sherry.
- Lid and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 days.
- Wash your hands!
- Uses: For a recipe needing a little spice, remove a few pepper pieces, dice and add. The peppers will be milder and have a pleasant nutty note as well.
- Use about one tablespoon of the sherry in soups.
- Add more peppers or sherry as needed to keep the jar filled. Keeps practically forever.